Monday, April 11, 2011

Ripley - believe it or not

I feel as if I've just mooched the entire weekend and today away.  I've done the final draft of my Northanger Abbey essay but have lots of reading to do for my Frankenstein essay.  We went and saw the play on Saturday, live from the National Theatre in London and it was fantastic, so I suppose I could kind of count that as research!  I actually forgot the kids start their holidays today (I swear they get double what I used to get.  Maybe teaching's the way to go), so instead of spending the whole day locked in my room, I took No. 1 Son to the park to catch yabbies for an hour and a half; SH No. 1 came home for lunch and then No. 1 Son and I decided to spend the afternoon watching Alien!! 

Yes, my son is only 11 and yes, I would've been scared out of my brains if I watched it when I was 11 - hell, I was scared when I first watched it at 19!!  But really, compared to what they watch now and the video games they play, I think it's fairly tame by comparison.  Anyway, I'll certainly know tonight if it was the right thing to do or not!  But I digress...I absolutely love Ellen Ripley.  I love her so much, I named my dog after her.  A gutsy, spirited, cool-headed heroine - God is there anything better?  The only bad Alien movie is the last one because, really, she's an original - you can't CLONE her!!  I'm clearly still in love with Ripley and she just makes me want to be a kick-ass gal.  All my whinging and moaning about uni - 'I want to quit' and 'it's too hard'...boo-hoo!  God, I make myself sick.

I would have to say though, that since studying literature, there are quite a lot of literary kick-ass gals from times gone by as well.  Mary Shelley, Miles Franklin and Charlotte Perkins Gilman to name just a few.  So I want to know, who's your favourite kick-ass gal? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!

I've done it!!!

Well, I've finally done it!! Got accepted into Uni AND created a blog!!! After searching for insightful websites to help me tackle my journey into academia at my ripe old age and coming up with nil, I decided to start one of my own. I hope this blog will encourage anyone who has ever doubted their own abilities, to put one foot in front of the other and achieve their ambitions, desires, dreams...no matter what they are. If anyone has any inspiring stories to share, I would love to hear them. I love an inspiring story!!!