Thursday, May 20, 2010

Date night

Now that the kids are older and we don't need baby sitters, SH No 1 and I are fortunate enough to be able to have regular "date nights".  And no, we don't have nearly as many adventures as Tina Fey and Steve Carell in the movie of the same name!  Although bumping into Marky Mark wouldn't be so bad every now and again!! 

Since returning from our holiday of a lifetime at the beginning of the year, we vowed to have these date nights at least once a fortnight.  Over the last couple of months, they've become a monthly event and on Saturday night, we enjoyed such a night.  We went and saw a brilliant threatre performance called 'Stockholm'.  I say 'theatre performance' because 'play' doesn't give it the oomph it deserves.  I've never seen such a powerful performance on the stage.  Everything about it was riveting - the acting, the stage settings, the dialogue, the choreography, the story.  I can't rave about it enough.  The title comes from the Swedish city the characters are about to visit as well as Stockholm Syndrome, that psychological state where hostage captives develop a loyalty to their captors.  Combining dialogue with music and dance, the story is about a couple so intoxicatingly in love, they're just about destroyed by feelings of obsession, jealousy and paranoia.

I couldn't help but remember having many of the same feelings of obsession and jealousy when SH no 1 and I were first dating (though without the destruction!).  Now, after 20 years together, our relationship has become more about friendship and companionship and the only thing I get jealous about now is the weekly horse racing and the football season on t.v.!!  It's so nice to have grown up together and now we're back to the dating stage again albeit without the obsession!

Still, I'm looking forward to our next date night with relish (and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Marky Mark)!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, 20 years! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed reading this post. I am looking forward to that time when my husband and I would be back on the dating stage. But for now, it's all about looking after kids (3 & 5)and the big kid (hubby, who else?)...

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!

I've done it!!!

Well, I've finally done it!! Got accepted into Uni AND created a blog!!! After searching for insightful websites to help me tackle my journey into academia at my ripe old age and coming up with nil, I decided to start one of my own. I hope this blog will encourage anyone who has ever doubted their own abilities, to put one foot in front of the other and achieve their ambitions, desires, dreams...no matter what they are. If anyone has any inspiring stories to share, I would love to hear them. I love an inspiring story!!!