Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Book worm



With the heat hitting an all time high here in Oz, I've got the excuse of lolling about in the air conditioning, which gives me lots of time to read.  No, not the classics I said I would, but books I don't have to analyse, critique or review.  It feels so good to be able to read a book for the pure pleasure of it.

First up was J K Rowling's adult fiction, The Casual Vacancy - I like a community novel and this one I couldn't put down.  Now I'm on to Dawn French's, A Tiny Bit Marvellous - it's okay so far but doesn't exactly have me snatching every spare moment I can just to keep reading it.  I've  ordered some more from the library (Fred and Edie by Jill Dawson; The Harp in the South by Ruth Park), so it'll be a summer spent whiling away the time with my nose in a book.  I'm reminded of my teenage years when I was deemed 'unsociable' by my family due to my preference for the company of the characters of Virginia Andrews, Sidney Sheldon or Jackie Collins.   My extreme isolation from the rest of the family resulted in Dad hiding my books one weekend because he said I would 'go blind' from reading too much!! 

Anyway, my recent reading activity has re-sparked my deep-seated desire to become a Librarian.  I can still remember going to the local Council library with Mum when I was little and watching the Librarian with her trolley of books; stamping them with the return date and searching through the catalogue cards.  From memory it was a pretty dark and dreary library but for the rows and rows of books on offer and I remember that feeling of just knowing that's what I wanted to do.  I also remember when the kids were little, I think I was more excited than they were at the prospect of our weekly visit to the local library; coming home with an arm-full of picture books and instantly sorting through them to find the one I'd read to them first.

So it seems that this magical 'purpose' I've been searching for and angsting over most of my life, may have been known to me all along.  Could I finally have a goal?  I mean, look at my blog page - it's covered in books.  How could I have missed it?!

7 comments:

  1. Air conditioning???? It is winter here and freezing today!!! I say go for the dream and what was always there to begin with!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is this the direction you're going to take with your education? Sounds exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the direction at the beginning of the year, anyway!

      Delete
  3. I so love that feeling of semester finally being over and finally being able to sit down with a good book (or even a trashy one!) that's not on a reading list.

    I've got a friend who's a librarian, and she says it's not as fun as it sounds. Low pay (if you're working in a public or university library, which are most of the jobs out there), and not a lot of job security (libraries are always the first to suffer budget cuts when the government's trying to save money). But I don't know, spending your days surrounded by books sounds pretty good to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Jen, sorry for the late reply!

      Delete
  4. Great blog, and brilliant post! I think being a Librarian is a worthy career choice. After all, they say if you work in an environment you enjoy, it won't seem like work at all! I work for a new social blogging site called glipho.com, and was just wondering if you would be interested in sharing your posts there with us? It wouldn't change your blog in any way, and I know our community would love to read through your work here. Let me know what you think!

    All the best,

    Teo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teo, I'm so sorry I've only just seen your comments! I've had a break from blogging - a long one as it turns out! Thankyou for your kind comments. Visit me on here again :)

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!

I've done it!!!

Well, I've finally done it!! Got accepted into Uni AND created a blog!!! After searching for insightful websites to help me tackle my journey into academia at my ripe old age and coming up with nil, I decided to start one of my own. I hope this blog will encourage anyone who has ever doubted their own abilities, to put one foot in front of the other and achieve their ambitions, desires, dreams...no matter what they are. If anyone has any inspiring stories to share, I would love to hear them. I love an inspiring story!!!